LI Glossary of Terms | Middle Island Lightning Protection System
Lightning Protection Terms are while the installation takes place. We want you to know what they mean. Below are some terms defined by the Lightning Institute Standard of Practice for the Design, Installation, and Inspection of Lightning Protection systems to help you decipher our Lightning Protection lingo.
- Authority Having Jurisdiction, refers to the organization, office, or individual responsible for the approval and enforcement of equipment, materials, and installation or procedure.
- Bonding is an electrical connection between an electrically conductive object and a component of a lightning protection system intended to significantly reduce potential differences created by lightning currents.
- A cable is a factory assembly combining multiple wire strands together to form a single conductor.
- Conductors are devices defined by this standard (LPI-175) as suitable to carry lightning current or make bonding interconnections.
- A Fastener is a component or set of components used to securely attach materials to the structure may also be a mechanical device such as a rivet, bolt, screw, or pin used to securely hold two or more components together.
- When we use the term Grounded we are referring to being connected to the earth or to a conducting body that is connected to earth ground.
- The portion of the lightning protection system, such as a ground rod, ground plate, or ground conductor installed for the purpose of providing electrical contact with the earth is referred to as the Grounding Electrode.
- For quality control purposes equipment and materials are labeled with a label, symbol, or identifying mark of an organization that is acceptable to the authority having jurisdiction stating compliance with appropriate standards or performance have been met.
- A Lightning Protection System is a complete system of strike termination devices, main conductors (including conductive structural members), grounding electrodes, bonding or interconnecting conductors, surge protection devices and other connectors or fitting required to complete the system.
- Listed refers to the evaluation and inspection of our equipment, materials or services meeting appropriate designated standards or tested and found suitable for a specific purpose. Included in a list published by an organization that is acceptable to the authority having jurisdiction.
- Strike Termination Device (Air Terminal) refers to a component of our lightning protection system that intercepts lightning flashes and connects them to a path to the ground. Includes air terminals, metal masts, qualified permanent metal parts of structures (as described in LPI-175), and overhead ground wires installed in catenary (overhead shielding), lightning protection systems.
- Surge Protection Device (SPD) (also called lightning arresters, surge arresters, surge suppressors and TVSS) is a device typically installed in service electrical panels to block or ground lightning’s harmful voltage and composed of any combination of linear or nonlinear circuit elements intended for limiting surge voltages in equipment by diverting or limiting surge current that comprises at least one nonlinear component.
- The Zone of Protection is the space adjacent to a lightning protection system that is substantially immune to direct lightning flashes.
Contact us today to schedule your Lightning Protection Installation and protect your home from the damage a lightning strike could pose.